After my last blog post, which featured a card I made for my mom's birthday, I had a wonderful surprise come my way. My project was chosen as the favorite by the wonderful team over at Frilly and Funkie, and earned me a chance to be Guest Designer!!
I am so excited to have the chance to do a project for these wonderful people, and the theme for the challenge is "Something Wicked." I do hope you'll join the party for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate to the Frilly and Funky online boutique and/or earn a guest DT spot.
I am particularly eager to have this theme, because with the downsizing that I did in my recent move, one theme of the supplies I held onto was Halloween. I enjoy doing Halloween cards, canvases, 3d boxes, popups, etc. I love the colors of this holiday - orange, black, green and purple; the critters - bats, owls, cats, and props - coffins, candelabras, and skeletons. So this challenge is right up my alley.
I had just done a card, so I wanted something different. What to do, what to do... Rifling through my dies, I came across Elizabeth Craft Designs Rose 1 (#997), designed by Susan Tierney-Cockburn. So I decided to do... wait for it... black roses!! Very spooky!! So I set out make a bouquet of creepy black roses any "ghoul" would love to get.
I die cut the petals and leaves from black card stock and using the leaf and ball stylus tools, worked the fibers of the paper to be able to form the flowers. As you can see, I cut a lot of petals and leaves. After shaping each individual petal, I formed the flowers - enough for a lovely bouquet. I painted some flower stems black, and adhered the leaves to the stems. I used Tarnished Silver Distress Paint to highlight the petals of the roses, and gray PanPastel to shadow the leaves.
Once I had my bouquet done, I needed something to hold the flowers. I settled on making a vintage-y looking vase using Krylon's Looking Glass spray paint. This stuff is tricky, as you have to spray the opposite side of the glass to get the mirror-like finish. My chosen vase had a very narrow neck, but I made it work by spraying the paint down the neck and swirling it around the inside. Several coats are needed to achieve the finish, but it dries quickly.
A Graphic 45 label from their Steampunk Spells collection (which coincidentally had "Thorn of a Rose" on it), completed the vase. I needed a few more things for my spooky scene: I found this tutorial for a coffin, shading it with more gray PanPastel, and added a Dollar Tree owl and a skeleton head from my stash, along with some Tim Holtz diecuts.
I hope you enjoy my version of "Something Wicked," and that you join in the fun on this challenge.